Are you looking for some healthy green smoothie recipes to try to boost your health in a quick, delicious meal or snack? You've come to the right place! Healthy green smoothie recipes are a great treat to make for any time of year, and especially to celebrate a wonderful historical figure like St. Patrick. I've collected a group of easy healthy recipes that I think you will love!
Oh, and a word about St. Patrick--have you ever read his true story? It's quite an amazing tale! Our family has read it, at least a four-page version of the story from this book, and it is fascinating.
There is so much more depth to his story than you'd expect based on how so many of us celebrate his day each year here in the U.S.
We own the hardcover version of the book, but it is also available as of this writing to read on Kindle at no extra charge if you're a member of Kindle Unlimited (I LOVE Kindle Unlimited!).
St. Patrick came to know the Lord, and it made a huge difference in his life and the lives of many others.
This year on St. Patrick's day a new docu-drama will be released, called "I Am Patrick." It looks incredible! One of my favorite actors, John Rhys-Davis, is in it.
Anyway, it looks like it might be really good. You can see the trailer here. Hopefully it'll help more people learn his amazing story! (No, I don't get anything for telling you about the film--I am just genuinely excited!)
Back to the smoothies...
In order to make your healthy green smoothies, the recipes you use should:
1. Use low oxalate ingredients. Why? Dark leafy greens like spinach and kale, when eaten raw too often may cause health problems for some, such as kidney stones. Kale, even organic kale, may also pose other health risks, such as overexposure to dangerous heavy metals such as thallium and cesium.
If you see any dark leafy greens in a smoothie recipe but like the rest of the ingredients, I suggest omitting them and seeing how the smoothie tastes without them. It will very likely taste just fine.
2. Use natural sweeteners. This is also another easy adjustment to make when looking for a green smoothie recipe. It is best to stick to unrefined sweeteners, or natural sweeteners in fruit. If using stevia, read the ingredient label carefully--some stevia products have undesirable additives such as dextrose in them. Interested in weight loss? Check out how to make coconut milk smoothies for weight loss.
3. If a green smoothie recipe calls for cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli or cauliflower, etc., be sure to cook them before adding them, or omit them.
4. Want to blend any kind of vegetable with ease? This is especially helpful if you want to make green smoothies on a regular basis. Get a strong blender, like a Vitamix blender.
5. Find great recipes! I've made this part easy for you, with a nice selection of green smoothies recipes, below.
The flavors in this lime mint smoothie pack a big punch. It has a zingy, tangy taste--so refreshing!
Copycat Shamrock Shake. This one is full of nourishing ingredients, though!
This Green Tea Smoothie is loaded with health benefits. It can help boost metabolism, supports the immune system & has anti-aging benefits, too.
Don’t let its sting scare you away, the stinging nettle packs a powerful nutritional punch, and is a great addition to smoothies like this foraged, tropical stinging nettle smoothie.
(Tracy, the creator of this smoothie, has some great information on oxalates and raw cruciferous vegetables in this post, if you're interested.)
Avocado milk is nut, seed and coconut-free + Paleo, Keto, AIP and GAPS-friendly. It’s creamy and delicious and stays that pretty light green color in the fridge for days.
Mary's boys don’t eat a lot of fresh greens, so this recipe is a perfect way for her to ‘disguise’ those nutritious leaves!
Natalie, the creator of this smoothie says: "This Avocado Banana Kiwi is a creamy, green dream. Oh and I can't forget to mention the vitamin C and tanginess the kiwi brings to this healthy treat!"
So how's that for a nice selection of healthy green smoothies?! I hope you find some that fit what you're looking for, and help you reach your health goals. And I hope you find them delicious, too, of course!
Like smoothies? Check out these other delicious smoothie recipes!
31+ Coconut Milk Smoothies (it includes 4 more green smoothies)
12 Delicious Smoothie Recipes (I think there's one green smoothie in this collection)
Disclosure: We may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. For more information, see our disclosure page.