Best Apple Crisp Recipe | Paleo Apple Crisp
Why do I call this the best apple crisp recipe?
It tastes absolutely delicious.
- It contains a few superfood products: coconut oil, flaked coconut, and coconut flour.
- It is gluten free. But the taste and texture are first rate. Did I mention it is delicious?
- It is dairy free.
- It is refined-sugar free. It uses honey instead, another wonderful superfood.
- It fits the Paleo Diet.
- It is legal on SCD
- It fits the Primal Diet.
- It is legal on the Full GAPS Diet.
- It makes your house smell just like a conventional apple crisp recipe while it is baking...
When we first went gluten free, I felt kind of sad that I had to put aside a lot of my favorite old stand-by recipes. Then, we went on the GAPS Diet, and even more recipes went out the window. But now, I have realized that some of my old favorites can be converted, or shall we say, “upgraded,” to use healthier, better quality ingredients that still taste amazing.
Like my pumpkin bar recipe, this is a make-over of a popular Pampered Chef recipe called "Easy Apple Crisp."
Best Apple Crisp Recipe
5 Granny Smith Apples (this kind of apple is firm and works best with the apple peeler corer slicer. If you really want to use a softer apple, put them in the freezer for about 10 minutes before slicing them up.)
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted (I get Nutiva brand from my local Costco. If that won't work for you, you can also find coconut oil here)
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1 cup coconut flour, sifted
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
4 large eggs
2-3 Tablespoons honey (or more to taste, perhaps mix the topping without the eggs, sweeten to taste, and add the eggs last and mix well) (I get my honey from a local beekeeper.)
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Peel, core and slice apples. I used an apple peeler corer slicer, to get the slices thin and even (which is key for having evenly baked apple slices). Once you have peeled, cored and sliced each apple, you will have one long spiral of apple in the shape of a sphere. Cut each apple spiral in half with a utility knife to create lots of little wedges. Place apples in an 11 inch stoneware deep dish baker.
- Warm coconut oil in a pan, if not already melted. Chop nuts, if using them. I like to use my food chopper to chop nuts quickly. Add nuts, coconut oil, coconut flour, flaked coconut, honey, salt & cinnamon into a large bowl. Mix well, and taste if desired. Adjust honey to taste. Then add eggs, and mix till it all gets crumbly. Sprinkle mixture evenly over apples. Be sure to cover apples completely, to seal in the juices and keep the apple slices moist!!!
- Bake 35-45 minutes or till apples are tender and crumbs are golden brown. Serve warm, with optional whipped coconut cream.
Share Now to Find Later! :)
You Might Also Like...
The Giveaway has ended.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
All photos for this recipe are by Julia of A Quaint Cottage.
This recipe is linked to Allergy Free Wednesday and Real Food Wednesday.
Return to Top of Best Apple Crisp Recipe
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support this website, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Thanks for understanding!